Microsoft Word/youtube recording in word document

Question
Hi Suzanne

Suzanne, I've been having fun putting together a word document. I have done some writing and added some nice little pictures with little box's that play music or short recordings when clicked.

I'm quite happy with the document in all but want to put the document on other computers. I downloaded the document onto a portable hard drive and then test downloaded it onto another computer. The document now looks fine on my other computer but when i click the box's the recordings don't play. Do you have any suggestions what i might have done wrong and what might be a quick fix as I would also like to be able to give the hard drive copy to friends to read/watch.

Thanks Suzanne

Answer
Without knowing what's in your boxes, I would guess they probably contain hyperlinks or references to external files. Word is maddeningly poor at relative links, so even if you put all your files in a single folder and transfer that folder to another computer, the links will be broken because Word has converted them to absolute ones. Unless the file path is exactly the same on the other computer, they won't work. You'll need to repair the links. You may be able to edit the link by using Alt+F9 to display the field codes; adjust the path to the current environment, then Alt+F9 to toggle the display back and F9 to update the field.

Unfortunately, this is something that would have to be done by anyone else who received the files. I suspect there's no way to actually embed the sound/video files, but I have no experience with this kind of thing.
About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

Suzanne S. Barnhill