You are here:

Microsoft Word/Find - Replace Hard Return


Moe Rosenhek wrote at 2007-08-31 19:02:30
The question was about HARD returns not paragraph marks. I too am looking for an answer to replace HARD returns (not parapraph marks) with a diffeent character.

Anonymous wrote at 2008-03-17 19:44:30
The above answer is wrong. The easiest fix is to use the find/replace feature in excel First, select the cells containing the data to be changed, then go to Edit>Replace or hit CTRL+H in the "Find What" box, enter what you want to replace the hard returns with (can be nothing)

and in the "Replace With" box, enter


Using the numbers on the num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function keys. You will not see anything displayed in the "Replace With" box, but click "Replace All". Your hard turns will be removed and replaced.

Grok wrote at 2008-05-12 14:26:55
ACTUALLLY... You CAN search for "Hard Returns" in Excel (then replace them with a blank space or whatever...)

Search for "ALT 010" (hold down the Alt key and type 010, nothing will display in the search box BUT it will nuke all those pesky hard returns.)

..then simply replace with a space....

Lisa wrote at 2009-08-04 19:29:42
I used the ^p to find a return and then replaced it with a =

However, and I have used this trick for years so somebody should pay me :)

when asked for the "replaced with" just hit the delete key a couple of times and it replaces it with NOTHING (it just takes it away) and merges the information.


KTB wrote at 2012-08-28 19:47:38
I think some lingo differences are creating confusion. ^p is for a paragraph mark, which is created when you press enter. ^l is for a line break which can be created in Word by holding down the shift key and pressing the enter key and is symbolized by the enter key arrow. Some people refer to this this arrow symbol as a carriage return, but in Word is actually a line break.  

So in the find box enter ^l (with a lower case L not a number 1) and in the replace box put ^p which is a paragraph mark (what you get with Enter).

Aidan Heritage wrote at 2013-01-18 16:30:04
My problem as the original person to answer the question was that it was asked in one subject but related to another - so I geared my answer to the level of experience I perceived I was dealing with - in reality there are various ways of doing it in Excel (as has been said) - hopefully anyone who needs a method has now found one from these posts!

About Microsoft Word
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Word stand-alone or Microsoft Office Word including Word 2003, Word 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Word help on formatting text, tables, tabs, fonts, styles, general Word layouts, bullets, headings, and outlines, using templates, toolbar modifications, and using Track Changes. You may also find tips on linking Word and Excel embedded objects including charts. This site does not provide a general Word tutorial nor the basics of using a word processor. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Word only. If you do not see your Word question answered in this area then please ask a Word question here

Microsoft Word

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Aidan Heritage


I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions of Word from 2 onwards

©2017 All rights reserved.