Microsoft Works/Microsoft Works

Question
QUESTION: I have dozens of documents and Spreadsheets in Works. I need to buy a new computer with Windows 8.  Can I transfer all my old data amd software programs? The new computer probably doesnt have Works. Will I be able to open and use my old documents and spreadsheets? Thanks

ANSWER: Bill

If you don't have works then the only option is to save the files in text and other formats so that you can open them in other programs.  It may have the OEM Office Starter Edition or you can try open office to see if that can open the files (it will depend on the version of Works you have).  

QUESTION: Whyen I transfer data from the old hard drive to the new one will all the software programs transfer as well or just the data?

ANSWER: Bill

Just the data will transfer not the program, you may want to look (if you have them) the setup disks from the older computer as you may have the Works program on disk.

Richard

QUESTION: Is thre a program I can download now to change all Works documents to the Word format

Answer
Bill

Have a look at www.zamzar.com to convert the files.  I haven't tried it but I have heard good reports.  Make sure you have all the same type of file when converting ie all wordprocessing documents in one lot and all the spreadsheet in another.

Richard

Microsoft Works

Richard Stephens