US Military Academy at West Point/MG Luis Raul Esteves

Angela wrote at 2014-11-14 20:50:53
Hello Ralph!  You may not ever see this as this thread is so old but I thought I'd at least add my two cents, just in case you do.  I've been trying to find out who the first minority Army General is and at the moment I can't find any earlier than your grandfather(1939).  The closest I've found is MG Clarence L. Tinker, a Native American, who was promoted on 1 Oct 1940.  The first African American was on 25 Oct 1940.  The first Asian American was much later.  

Also, you and Bill were both right.  Your grandfather may not have been academically first in his class but he was the first in his class to make General.  A huge achievement considering he was up against Former President Dwight Eisenhower and General Omar Bradley.  According to Wikipedia (ya,ya, I know) he tutored Eisenhower in Spanish.  You have a wonderfully interesting grandfather.  

I too find it interesting  

Angela wrote at 2014-11-14 20:50:54

I too find it interesting  

Zelma Esteves wrote at 2015-11-18 23:15:41
Contact me zelma.esteves@gmail.com

My father knows many info from MG Esteves.  

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor