US Military Academy at West Point/Student Government at USMA

I am currently a Cadet Candidate at USMAPS and have been trying to get information about the structure of the Student Government down the hill. I have not been able to find any information about it online and I have only received minimal information regarding Student Government from my civilian teachers because they have never attended West Point.

The information I am looking for is: When was the Student Government founded? What is the structure like? Does it effect the Cadet Chain-of-Command? What is it's primary role at USMA?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Alastair P.

It's good to hear from you Alastair.  Thanks for your interest in West Point, and congratulations on your admission to USMAPS.

There is no "Student Government" in the conventional sense at West Point.  It is a military organization that operates on within a chain of command.  The United States Corps of Cadets is a military organization.  It is made up of four Regiments; with each regiment organized into three Battalions, and each Battalion is organized into three Companies.  The Corps of Cadets is run by Cadets of all classes, with close supervision by commissioned Tactical Officers, one for each of the 36 companies.   

Each of the four classes has a leadership team that represents the entire class.  This, if anything, is the closest you will find to a Student Government at West Point.  

I hope this helps.  Simply understand that the notion of a Student Government just doesn't apply at West Point.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980