US Military Academy at West Point/Branching Statistics

Question
Sir,

I'm interested in West Point, C/O 2015 hopefully, and I've been curious on how exactly the process of selecting which branch of the Army the Cadets will go into works? And also, what are the most up to date statistics on how many went into each field? (Infantry, artillery, aviation, etc.)

Thank you for your time to reply!

Answer
It's good to hear from you Claire.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

Branch selection takes place at the beginning of the fall semester of your senior year (Firstie year in West Point jargon).  Each Firstie fills out a form online with their prioritized selections.  The computers then go to work, computing each Cadet's overall order of merit and calculating that against their prioritized selections and the quotas assigned for each branch.  The overall order of merit is calculated based upon each Cadet's performance in academics, leadership and physical fitness tests.  The Army in coordination with the Academy determine the branch quotas based upon the needs of the Army.

This all comes together in early December each year when the entire Firstie class gathers in Eisenhower Auditorium.  They are given a sealed envelope with their assigned branch hidden inside.  After some traditional speeches by the Academy Leadership they are told to open their envelopes, whereupon their future in the Army is revealed.

That is the process.  A great story about this process for the Class of 2012 (most recently graduated) is found in an Army Times article from December of last year.  Check it out at:

http://www.army.mil/article/70229/Branches_revealed_for_West_Point_s_Class_of_20

You will also find it interesting to simply "Google" on "West Point Class Selection".  There are some other interesting results, including a link to a Cadet blog regarding branch selection.  That will give you the "inside" view.

Good luck in your quest for West Point, Claire.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor