US Military Academy at West Point/Emerging Leader

Hi Bill,
Do you know how the Emerging Leader process works?
What key leader positions are offered? And if a cadet is selected to
be, let's say, a company commander, will he/she keep the job
until graduation? Can you also tell me more about how the cadets are
organized during Beast or Camp Buckner?

Hi, Natasha.  I answered this question within hours of submission back on Nov 27th, but apparently my answer was lost, so I am repeating my previous answer.

"I have also heard of the emerging leader process.  I believe that this is conducted by the Tactical Department and not the Cadets.  It starts with the Company Tactical Officer who recommends exceptional Cadets in their company up the chain of command.  In this case it goes from Company directly to Regimental Tactical Officers (there are no Tactical Officer positions at Battalion level).  From the Regimental level it goes up the chain to the Brigade Tactical Officer level.  

In the end all of the Tactical Officers collaborate and select the best Cadets for each of the key leader positions.

I hope this helps."

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980