US Military Academy at West Point/After the Nomination Process

Question
My son was just received a letter stating he received a nomination to West Point from his congressman. What is the next step? What could prevent him from becoming a cadet?

Answer
It's good to hear from you JoAnn.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

The Academy Admissions process has two parallel paths.  The first is formally applying to West Point for admission; the second is securing a nomination.  Those who are fully qualified (fully qualified for admission AND having a nomination) then compete for places in the class.  Each year there are approximately 2,000 fully qualified/nominated candidates to fill the 1,000 to 1,100 positions available each year.

So your son has half of the equation to compete.  If he has already applied and is fully qualified, he will definitely be in the competitive mix.  If he has not applied or has applied and has not been notified that he is fully qualified, then he needs to get to that immediately as it is getting late in the game for admission in 2013 with the Class of 2017.

All of the Admissions information you need can be found on the Admissions website:

http://www.westpoint.edu/admissions/SitePages/Home.aspx

In particular you want to look at the Admissions Prospectus found at:

http://www.westpoint.edu/admissions/Shared%20Documents/wp_prospectus.pdf

Good luck to your son in his quest, JoAnn.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor