US Military Academy at West Point/Proof of service

I recieved a congressional appontmant to USMA and reported in June of 1976.After beast was completed I was injured and was operated on for shoulder dislocation. I was given the choice of bhaving my other shoulder repaired or leave. I left and recieved a ROTC Schlorship when I reported for duty I was told my shoulder was bad and could not be inducted.I recieved my Honerable Discharge 9/17/1970. I have requested my dd214 and there is no record of my service what do I do?

It's good to hear from you  .  Thanks for your interest in records from West Point and ROTC.

First off, we need to get the dates straight.  You mentioned that you reported to West Point in June 1976, but your discharge date was in 1970, six years before?  Please clarify that in a follow-up question, or you may contact me directly at

As to West Point, you should contact the Registrar's office:

I know you are not looking for a transcript as you never matriculated into the academic year, but that office should be able to get you documentation for the time you were there during beast, or at least tell you who to contact to access those records.

As to the ROTC interaction, you can contact the ROTC element at the college or university to start with.  I presume you still have copies of your ROTC engagement and reporting instructions.  You should also have had some medical paperwork documenting your shoulder problems that disqualified you from service.  You might also check the following link:

Good luck in your quest, Richard.  I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980