US Military Academy at West Point/Purple Heart

Question
Mr. Taylor,
    I was told that because I received the Purple Heart, this would in some way benefit my son's in getting into West Point. Could you please advice me if there is any truth to this and if so what help does it provide for me son's?

Thank you for your time and for your service to this country.

SSG Michael James (ret)

Answer
It's good to hear from you Michael.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice for our Country.  Unfortunately what you were told is not correct.  The Medal of Honor is the only award for which children of recipients have the opportunity for an automatic nomination to a military academy.  

If your son is highly motivated, he should explore requirements for admission at:

www.westpoint.edu/admissions

Good luck to your son in his quest.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor