US Military Academy at West Point/USMA Sword

Question
Sword
Sword  

Sword
Sword  
Could you tell me the age of this sword,, some history, and it value. I bought this sword at a yard sale about 10 years ago. Thank You
Larry

Answer
It's good to hear from you, Larry.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

What you have is a Cadet Saber, used for drill and ceremonies by Cadet Officers.  New in the Cadet Store they cost $229.  It looks relatively new from your pictures. One sold on eBay last month for $81.00.  One is currently for sale on eBay with 15 bids and the price at $76.00 with 3 plus days left.

Some call it a "sword" but the official Academy terminology is "saber."  Here is some info on it from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Point_Cadets'_Sword

Good luck with your saber, Larry.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor