US Military Academy at West Point/west point gymnastics weekend feb1-3

Question
HELP! My son is a gymnast and we are going to west point for gymnastics comps Feb 1 to Feb 3. I live in Shrewsbury Mass. I already booked my nights at the West Point Motel. I was looking to either go by bus or train. What do you suggest?

Answer
It's good to hear from you Lisa.  Thanks for your interest in travel to West Point.

Unfortunately there aren't many good public transportation options to or from West Point.  Passenger trains only run on the East side of the Hudson River, across from West Point.  IF you can get to New York City by train then you can take a train from Grand Central Station to Cold Spring.  Once you are in Cold Spring, the only option is a taxi to Highland Falls (where the West Point Motel is located) or West Point itself.  Also, walking from the West Point Motel to the Academy, and in particular the Gymnastics building is over 2 miles, much if it uphill.  That won't be very practical in February.

As to bus transportation, there is service by Short Line from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to and from West Point.  The schedule can be found at:

http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/98/pough-nwbrg.pdf

So, you can take a train from Massachusetts to New York City (Penn Station), connect to the Port Authorty Bus Terminal a few blocks away, and then take a bus from the Port Authority to West Point.  That still leaves you with the problem of getting around Highland Falls and West Point.

Candidly, Lisa, a car is the best solution for getting around West Point.  If you can't or don't want to drive the whole way, you might look into taking the train to New York City, then renting a car there for travel to and from West Point.  It's about an hour drive in good weather and non-rush hour traffic.

Good luck to your son in his competition, and have a safe trip.

Best Regards,  

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor