US Military Academy at West Point/Pre-Candidate Questionnaire

Hello Mr. Taylor, I am currently a Junior in high school and it is now the Spring semester of my junior year. I regularly check West Points site but when I attempted to get on earlier today to fill out the questionnaire it said that I was still too young. I will be 17 in April, so I will be old enough to enter West Point when I graduate if I were to get accepted. What do you think I should do considering it will not let me fill it out?

Thank you for all of your help,

It's good to hear from you Kim.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

First off, there is plenty of time in any event, so you are not missing out on anything.  The Candidate Timeline Chart is helpful in organizing your application for admissions.

The Timeline suggests that you fill out the "Candidate Questionnaire" in your Junior Year.

That is what you tried to do today.  It appears to me from the instructions on the form that depending on the High School Graduation year you submitted, it will determine if you are a candidate for this year's class (Class of 2017) or next year's class (Class of 2018).  If you put in 2013 as your high school graduation year then it was correct in that you are too young.  If you put in 2014 as your high school graduation year and it said you were too young, then there is a problem with the form on the Admissions website.

I would suggest trying the Candidate Questionnaire again.  If you put in April 17, 1996 as your date of birth and 2014 as your graduation year, then you should be directed to the pre-candidate area.  

IF those entries give you the same error as before, then there is a problem with the form processing on the Admissions website. If that is the case, then use the "Technical and Usability Feedback Form" at the bottom of the page

to report the problem.  You should hear back from West Point promptly.

Once again, it is early in the process and you have plenty of time to apply and be considered for admission.

Good luck in your quest, Kim.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980