US Military Academy at West Point/West Point and Flat Feet

I have a son in 6th grade who is dead set on going to West Point.  However he does have flat feet.  What is the determining factor on what level of this is acceptable for admission?

It's good to hear from you Tim.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

Medical issues and waivers can be tricky things, with the standards varying from time to time over the years depending on the needs of the services.  It's at least 5 years before your son can begin to compete for admission, so it's hard to give a definitive answer now.

What I recommend is that you get a copy of the medical standards for enlistment, appointment or induction into the military:

or more specifically:

With a printed copy in hand I would confer with your family physician and ask for his interpretation of the standards in light of your son's medical condition. We lay people are not qualified to interpret the medical terminology or standard medical codes referenced in the standard.

I would also suggest that you contact your Regional Admissions Commander at West Point and ask him/her about the current waiverability of whatever your family physician diagnoses relative to the specific military standard.  That MAY change over time, but it gives you a good benchmark to manage your son's expectations.

You can find the Commander at:

This is a tough issue.  You don't want to lead your son on that he has a chance in high school when he doesn't.  At the same time IF it is waiverable, you don't want to dash his dreams now.  These are the hard choices we parents must make in growing our children to adulthood.

Good luck to you and your son in his quest.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980