US Military Academy at West Point/Willard Reuben Cleveland

Question
Will Cleveland & Harry Bandholtz
Will Cleveland & Harry  
I am trying to find out if my Great Grandfather Willard Reuben Cleveland attended West Point.  I have no family records that he attended West Point or served in any military except maybe one photo which I have of him with Harry Hill Bandholtz.  Harry Bandholtz did attend West Point and was a graduate of 1890.  In the photo Willard and Harry are both dressed in military uniform exactly alike and they were young, I would say in their 20's. Willard and Harry were born the same year and were close friends  and also brother-in-laws. I was wondering if they possibly attended West Point together?  I am attaching a copy of the photo which might help identify if they were in West Point uniform.  Willard is on the left and Harry on the Right.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi, Dawn.  It's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

My primary reference is the "Register of Graduates and Former Cadets of the US Military Academy," published annually by the West Point Association of Graduates.  Per the "Register" there were no graduates in the Nineteenth Century with the last name "Cleveland."  There were two Former Cadets (attended but did not graduate).  They were Richard J. Cleveland, Class of 1827; and George L Cleveland, Class of 1857.  

So, it looks like your Great Grandfather was not a graduate, as you suspected.  I did verify that Harry Hill Bandholtz was a graduate with the Class of 1890.  Interestingly, his son graduated with the Class of 1914.  Even more interestingly, his son's name was Cleveland Hill Bandholtz!!! I suspect there MAY be a connection there.

The picture clearly shows two Army officers in their uniforms.

Thanks for the great question, Dawn.  Good luck in your continued research.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor