US Military Academy at West Point/Uniform

Question
What is the purpose of the shoulder cape on the over coat of cadets? What is the origin of the cape?

Answer
Hi, Margaret, it's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

You ask a very interesting question.  The uniform piece you refer to is the Long Overcoat.  I did a quick Internet search and found an interesting article on the Academy website revealing the history of Cadet Uniforms.

http://www.usma.edu/news/SitePages/West%20Point%20Cadet%20Uniforms.aspx

The following excerpt is from that article:

"The winters are long and hard at West Point so some type of heavy overcoat is needed much of the academic year. Overcoats were first issued to cadets in 1828; before that they wore any kind they pleased. "Such a mixture of scotch-plaid and camlet cloaks and cloth surtouts was probably never seen elsewhere on parade," one graduate recalled. Superintendent Thayer adopted the long gray overcoat in 1828 and it has changed only in the fact that the present overcoats are double-breasted. Women cadets have the option of wearing high leather boots with overcoats in winter."

While this doesn't directly answer your question regarding the cape, I may be able to shed some light on that from my personal experience.  In contemporary times the long overcoat is usually worn with the cape folded over the shoulders and buttoned in the back.  In it's natural position the cape surrounds the shoulders and provides "some" additional protection from the weather.  

While this is not a definitive answer, it's the best I can offer at the moment.

Thanks again, Margaret, for your intriguing question.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor