US Military Academy at West Point/Edward B. White C/O 1826

Question
It is reported that E. B. White (1806-1882), noted Charleston SC architect, graduated from West Point or at least attended West Point.  I would like to confirm this.  It is also reported that White served as a LT. Colonel for the Confederate States during the Civil War.
I am researching why our church, The Church Of The Cross, was not burned during the burning of Bluffton, SC in 1863.  One theory is that White was a friend of one of the Union officers on this raid and he spared the church since he knew White was the architect.
Thank you.

Answer
It's good to hear from you Harry.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

My primary reference is the "Register of Graduates and Former Cadets of the US Military Academy," published annually by the West Point Association of Graduates.  Per the "Register"  Edward Brickell White graduated with the Class of 1826 on July 1, 1826.  He was from South Carolina and was commissioned in the Artillery.  He resigned from the US Army as a 1st LT in 1836.  He worked as a civil engineer from 1836 to 1861.  He also served in the SC "Military" (today the National Guard) in artillery from 1844 to 1849.  Curing the Civil War he served in the CSA Army as a Colonel.  He died in New York City, NY on May 10, 1882.

I find your thoughts about the non-burning of the church quite plausible, as there are many anecdotal stories of former friends accommodating each other in Blue/Gray confrontations.

Good luck in your continued research, Harry.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor