US Military Academy at West Point/National Guard

Question
Hello Mr. Taylor,

I recently found out that my son has been put on the National Waiting List for West Point. Even though its early, he is unsure of his chances so he's decided to apply again next year. Now when he goes to college this year, would it look better for to Admissions if joined ROTC in college or if he went through the National Guard?

Answer
It's good to hear from you Frank.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

Persistence in gaining admission usually pays off for a qualified candidate such as your son.  It is not commonly known that fully 30% of every incoming class is NOT admitted directly from high school!  They come from the Army, college, and the National Guard and Army Reserves.

Going to college next year is exactly the right thing to do.  In addition, I would recommend the National Guard.  From the Guard he will be competing with a completely different, and much smaller set of candidates.  Also, Guard slots for admission to West Point are rarely filled.

So, Frank, you and your son are definitely on the right track.  Admission is tougher than ever this year with the drawdown in military forces.  Nearly half of all fully qualified candidates this year will not be offered admission because of the relatively smaller class size.

Good luck to you and your son.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor