US Military Academy at West Point/West Point nomination code and appointment

Dear Mr. Taylor,
Thank you for offering your expertise. My son is finishing AIT now and has just finished his application to West Point. He is a National Guard Reservist. He received his congressional nomination in Dec. and his application shows a second code RSCOM as a second nomination. We were wondering what that code means. He did have his commander fill out his nomination form but he was not privy to the contents. I assume he was nominated favorably?! He had 2 sergeants provide recommendations on his behalf and 1 Master Sergeant. Would the Master Sergeant qualify as a chain of command nomination? The box for the CERAN-Commander nomination is checked off as well. We have been told that appointments to active military and reservists quotas rarely get filled however, I am concerned that this may not be accurate or true any longer. How competitive is West Point to Active/reservists? Second question, once a file is completed how long it takes for him to hear an appointment decision? How is a decision rendered? Do they call, mail, do they contact his commander? He is looking for an answer so he can decide on another college accordingly. Thank you so much for your expertise.

It's good to hear from you Anna.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

Congratulations on your son's Nomination.  Only one is required, though two definitely doesn't hurt.  I believe that the RSCOM code relates to the Reserve/Guard Command that is the source of his second nomination.  All nominations are definitely "favorable!"

His Master Sergeant definitely qualifies as Chain of Command.  It is true that appointment quotas for Reserve/Guard candidates are not often fully filled.  Soldiers in the Reserve/Guard compete in their own category, and definitely NOT against those coming directly from High School.  Admissions is taking longer to make offers of admission; this is due to smaller class sizes with the drawdown in our foreign deployments, though the number of applicants and fully qualified candidates remains very high.  Presuming that he is fully qualified academically, he will more than likely receive an offer of admission.  Offers of admission usually come by mail, sometimes accompanied with a warning phone call to the candidate.

I would strongly suggest that your son (NOT you) contact Admissions first thing Tuesday morning.  He should contact the Soldier Admissions Team

at(845)938-5780.  He should introduce himself and ask them directly the status of his candidacy.  They will be as forthcoming as they can be.

Good luck to your son in his quest.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980