US Military Academy at West Point/West Point Uniformes

I produce leather military reproductions. Joe's Leather Works,LLC
Could you please let me know where I can find a picture of an 1826 Cadet,leather Shako with plate.
I would like to reproduce it but can not find a picture on line.
Thank You,
Joe Toth

It's good to hear from you Joe.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

The immediate problem with your request is that practical photography was invented with the Daguerreotype process in 1837.  That is likely why you can't find a photograph of an 1826 Shako.

Regardless, there is hope for your request.  I suggest that you contact the Special Collections and Archives Branch of the Academy Library.  They can be reached at 845-938-3259, and should be able to help you with drawings or any other relevant images of an original Shako.

Good luck in your quest, Joe.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980