US Military Academy at West Point/Admission question

Question
Hello Mr.Taylor,

First off, thank you for your time, and this invaluable resource you are offering. My name is Alice and I am currently a sophomore in high school. I am very interested in attending West Point
and I've already done some research, but I have a few questions regarding the academy. My first question is do I have to be part of a team sport? On the Prospectus it says, "You should place emphasis on a variety of strenuous activities rather than on one sport." This could be a problem because my high school does not offer varsity high school sports. My second question has to do with my career. I want to be a military pediatrician but can you explain to me the process of being one if I get into West Point? What are chances of me getting in?  Again, thank you for your time and have a nice day!

Answer
It's good to hear from you Alice.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

Participation in a team sport is not required, though participation in some sport, even an individual one outside of school will make you much more competitive for admission.

As to Army medicine, your goal is definitely achievable.  In fact the daughter of one of my classmates who graduated in 2001 has done just that, including the pediatrician part.  There is a brochure explaining the paths to Army medicine.  I suggest that you call Admissions (845-938-4041) and ask them to send you a copy.

Good luck to you in your quest, Alice.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor