US Military Academy at West Point/Captain Joseph Dixon

Question
I recently visited Ft. Donelson.  My gg-uncle, Captain Joseph Dixon (Confederate Artillery), was killed there on the day preceding the general battle.  He was a West Pointer and I'd like any information on his dates of West Point attendance, his classmates and who else was a student there while he was a cadet.  According to the park rangers at Ft. Donelson, Dixon was well regarded by his contemporaries and considered to have been a great loss to the Confederacy.  I'd also like information on how to pursue his old army military records between graduation and his enlistment with the Confederacy.

Answer
It's good to hear from you, Mitchell.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

My primary reference is the "Register of Graduates and Former Cadets of the US Military Academy," published annually by the West Point Association of Graduates.  Per the "Register," Joseph Dixon of Tennessee graduated with the Class of 1858 on July 1st of that year.  They entered on July 1, 1854.  

He was commissioned as a Topographical Engineer.  He resigned in 1861 and became a Captain in the Engineers of the CSA.  He was killed at Fort Donaldson, TN on Feb 13th, 1862 at age 28.

There were 27 graduates in that class, as follows:

Bascom, George N (1858)
Bell, William H (1858)
Brewer, Richard H (1858)
Carey, Asa B (1858)
Cressey, Edward P (1858)
Dixon, Joseph (1858)
Echols, William H (1858)
Frank, Royal T (1858)
Gooding, Oliver P (1858)
Hallonquist, James H (1858)
Harker, Charles G (1858)
Ingraham, Charles H (1858)
Jackson, Andrew Jr (1858)
Jesup, Charles E (1858)
McKee, Samuel (1858)
Miller, Marcus P (1858)
Napier, Leroy Jr (1858)
Nicodemus, William J (1858)
Paine, William C (1858)
Reed, Sardine P (1858)
Robinson, William G (1858)
Saunders, John S (1858)
Tannatt, Thomas R (1858)
Thomas, Bryan M (1858)
VanHorn, James J (1858)

You can check on his military record through the following link:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

I hope this helps.  Good luck in your quest, Philip.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor