US Military Academy at West Point/Summers Leaders Experience

Question
Hi.   My name is Esther.   For several years I have been interested in attending West Point (and this summer, I will become a freshman).   I went on to their website and saw that there was a Summers Leaders Experience for juniors.   To attend the program, the junior must be 17 by July 1st.   I was wondering if they would accept an individual if they had their birthdate on July 4.   I was really looking forward to attend the program when I become a junior; however, that little area is making me think if I should apply or not. Thank you.

Answer
It's good to hear from you Esther.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

Simply, it's too soon for you to be concerned about this. Assuming that you are an incoming high school freshman this year,  you won't apply for the SLE until January of 2016, two and a half years from now.  By then the criteria may well have changed; and in any event attendance at the SLS is a good thing, but ultimately it has little to do with your qualifications to be accepted to West Point.  Only a small percentage of top applicants are selected for the SLE.

Also, if you read the criteria carefully:

"reach the age of 17 by July 1 (of the year they would be a USMA Freshman)"

the age test is for the following year when you would be eligible to enter West Point.

In any event, Esther, continue your pursuit of West Point as a goal.  The best way to accomplish that is to perform to the best of your ability in everything you do.  When you are successful at that you will likely be competitive for admission to West Point.

Good luck in your quest.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor