US Military Academy at West Point/Veterans Affair Volunteer?

Hi.   My name is Esther.   I am currently volunteering in the U.S Department of Veterans Affair .   I was wondering if someone in the volunteer center can write a letter of recommendation.   Also, can my JROTC captain (leader) write a letter of recommendation too?   Thank You

Hi, Esther.  It's good to hear from you again.

Any volunteer work is good and is credited towards your leadership evaluation for admission to West Point.  Anyone can write a letter of recommendation for you, but the ultimate determination of your admission to West Point is based upon YOUR accomplishments.  Your accomplishments as a student, an athlete and a leader in your school/church/community count far more than any recommendations.

I'm NOT telling you to ignore letters of recommendation.  I AM telling you to focus your efforts on YOUR accomplishments in those three areas.

Good luck in your quest, Esther.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980