US Military Academy at West Point/West Point Prep?

Question
Who can go to BBQ and "R" Day at West Point Prep? My boyfriend's family invited me to go with them for the three days and has now told me that I must stay at hotel while they are at BBQ and when they drop my boyfriend at "R" Day because girlfriends are not allowed just family. Why should I go if I can't spend the last few days with him?

Answer
It's good to hear from you Barbara.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your boyfriend.

What you have been told is somewhat inconsistent with my experience.  I will note that my experience is almost exclusively with R-Day for West Point and not the Prep School, but I can't believe that they are very different.

My experience is that family AND friends can be with the candidate up until they moment that they actually check-in on R-Day.  If your boyfriend is a recruited athlete, I suspect that the BBQ is put on for the various teams.  They may in fact limit attendance to that single event, usually the night before R-Day, to family, but that should be the only limitation on you.  

Except for maybe the BBQ the night before, you should definitely be able to spend time with him up until the moment he reports on R-Day.

Don't hesitate to ask a follow-up question if this isn't clear.  It would be helpful to know if he is in fact a recruited athlete.

Good luck to you and your boyfriend.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor