US Military Academy at West Point/Re-Applying

Mr. Taylor,

My son received a congressional nomination and applied to USMAPS.  He was accepted but then disqualified due to a prescription he had taken within one year.  If he applies for direct entry, does he need a new nomination?

Thank you for your help.

It's good to hear from you Gene.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

It SHOULD be the case that the nomination is good for direct admission.  

I must admit it is unusual to "apply" to USMAPS; that is because USMAPS is for candidates who have applied  for direct admission, who show great promise, but are NOT fully academically qualified.  IF you are fully qualified, then USMAPS is NOT normally an option.  

There are other scholarship programs for fully qualified candidates who don't make the admission cut.  [That group constitutes at least 1/3 or more of all fully qualified candidates who don't get admitted that year.]

The prescription would also be an issue for direct admission.  It MAY be waiverable, but your son needs to communicate with Admissions to determine his actual status.  

I strongly recommend that you have him (NOT YOU) call Admissions (845-938-4041) tomorrow and speak with his Regional Admissions Commander.  That Regional Admissions Team will have the best information available, PLUS it is always positive for the Candidate to establish direct contact with them.

Good luck to your son in his quest.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980