US Military Academy at West Point/Admissions

Hi, my name is Ansh, and I'm looking at West point for my undergraduate years.
I'm a US citizen, but have been living overseas in India for almost 9 years now.
So would I be treated as an international student, or have a lower chance of acceptance?

Also, how do I get nominated? Would I be subject to a different process for nomination?

Hi, Ansh, it's good to hear from you.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

No, you would NOT be treated as an international cadet.  You are a US citizen and will compete for regular admission.  Living overseas for that long presents challenges, but they are definitely NOT insurmountable.

The first information you need is your parent's (and hence your) domicile or home of record.  What city/state is home to which they would return?  That determines both the state in which you will apply to Senators for nomination, and for your Congressional District.  

I would strongly suggest that you contact Admissions immediately to explain your situation and get direct guidance as to the application procedure for an overseas resident.  The application itself is done online, but there will be other considerations such as medical qualification exam, physical aptitude exam, and of course the nominations.

Check out the admissions website at:

Pick the region of your parent's domicile and send them an email.  Normally I would suggest that you call, but with the time zone differences start with email.  Once you are connected with the right admissions region, they will take good care of you.

Good luck in your quest, Ansh.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980