US Military Academy at West Point/Admission requirements

Question
My son has just entered high school and wishes to attend West Point.  He has JNROTC at his school which he is very excited about. He is taking Cross Country and plans to participate in Fencing in the fall and Track in the Spring.  He is currently participating in Marching Band.  Due to his course schedule he does not have band during the school day. So the Marching Band is an extra activity.  He is struggling with all his AP classes and sports and Marching Band.  I was wondering if there would be a benefit for him to stick with the Marching band. Is this something Admissions would like to see on an application.  
Note:  He is also working on his Eagle Project, Congressional Award and plans to try and attend Boys State.

Answer
It's good to hear from you Sue.  Thanks for your interest in West Point on behalf of your son.

As you know, West Point is looking for well rounded young men and women who are good students, good athletes and good leaders.  Having a balance in all three areas is important to maximize your competitive position.  Performing to the best of your ability in all three areas is also important.  Given that he has a number of leadership and athletic activities already, giving up one would NOT hurt his competitive position.  That is especially true if that allows him to perform better in his AP classes.

Ultimately this is his decision, but in my opinion I do NOT see any real benefit to sticking with Marching Band.  JROTC and his Eagle Project count for much more in that leadership area.

Good luck to your son in his quest, Sue.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor