US Military Academy at West Point/West Point Jacket

West Point Jacket
West Point Jacket  
Good evening Bill, I read your post and have a question about a West Point jacket I picked up at an estate sale this past weekend. On the inside of the jacket is written in pin is 3857 above where the name is, the maker says WJ then the date says 85. All the stitching on the inside of the jacket is done by hand and I would like to send you pictures of the Jacket. Not sure if it may belong to someone important or not. Thanks for any help John West

It's good to hear from you John.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

The "Jacket" is formally known as a Full Dress Coat.  I could tell more with a photo of the writing on the label, but the "85" likely means it was tailored in 1985 (I don't think it is from 1885) for someone from a Class between 1987 and 1991.

Please submit a follow-up with more photos and I might be able to provide you with additional details.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980