US Military Academy at West Point/1913 Graduate

Question
I have a Cadet sword my father bought at a gun show many years ago. It has the following; "B S Degree on Cadet Horton", 1913, W C Rowland Phil PA"  I would like to find out the full name and a bit of history on this person. Thank you very much.

Answer
It's good to hear from you, Paul.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

My primary reference is, "The Register of Graduates and Former Cadets of the US Military Academy," published annually by the West Point Association of Graduates.  Per the "Register" Robert Donald Horton was appointed from New York and graduated with the Class of 1913.  Upon graduation he served as a 2nd Lieutenant Infantry in 1917.  He retired with a disability as a Major in 1930, and passed away on August 13, 1955.  That is all the entries in the "Register."

The "W C Rowland Phil PA" part is likely the maker of the Cadet sword.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Good luck in your quest for more information about Maj (Ret) Horton.

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor