US Military Academy at West Point/United States Military Academy West Point Help with I.D.

Question
Pic
Pic  

Pic
Pic  
I have a Tiffany & Co. United States Military Academy (West Point) pin that's dated 1928 with the initials J.W.B. on the back. It's a long shot but anyway you could I.D. those initials? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Answer
It's good to hear from you Brian.  Thanks for your interest in West Point.

You have a great find in that pin.  Fortunately I am able to help you.  My search began with graduates from the Class of 1928.  My primary reference is the "Register of Graduates and Former Cadets of the US Military Academy," published annually by the West Point Association of Graduates.  Per the "Register" there are actually seven graduates with first initial "J" and last initial "B" in that class!  The very last one is likely your man.

James Wilson Brown Jr was born in Louisiana and appointed from Arkansas.  He graduated with the Class of 1928 on June 9th and was commissioned in the Infantry.  Later he changed branch to the Army Air Corps.  He was Chief of Staff of the 2818 HQ Squadron in 1945-1947 where he was awarded the Commendation Ribbon. He  later served in the Headquarters at Bolling Air Force Base in Wash, DC.  He retired in 1958 as a Colonel and passed away on February 23, 1985 in San Antonio, TX.

So, it looks like you have a connection.  Enjoy the pin!!

Best Regards,

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor