US Military Academy at West Point/June Week, 1940, keepsake

QUESTION: While processing my mother's estate I came across two small metal cases with an enamled front depicting a cadet and a banner with West Point, 1940, June Week inscribed. The smaller square case is likely a compact and still has some powder in it. The word "Leakproof" is embossed on the bottom. The longer rectangle one is empty. I am attaching an image of them. Recently learned my mother was in a serious relationship with a graduate but he was killed in Europe during the war. I'm wondering if such keepsakes were common and if there might be a place on the items to find a name or initials.

ANSWER: It's good to hear from you, Randy.  Thanks for your interest in West Point in regard to your Mother's keepsake.  

You have two pretty cool items there.  They were likely mementos from June (Graduation) Week in 1940.  The larger one is likely a cigarette case.  Such mementos are common, but definitely different every year.  As there were 449 Graduates in the Class of 1940, the likelihood of finding the name of the Cadet who gave it to her may be challenging from this end.  If there are any notes or diaries from that time in her life I certainly could verify the name if he is mentioned.  

If you can find any further information I'd be pleased to run it down as best I can.

Good luck in your quest.

Best Regards,

QUESTION: Do you know why the 1940 Howitzer is not available online on the school's website? Seems like the years before and after are available but they skip 1940. Obviously, I'm just curious but thought there might be an interesting story or reason it isn't online there.

Hi again, Randy.

What website and URL were you looking at?  The Academy website ( or or the WPAOG (Association of Graduates Alumni Association) website (

I can dig further once I know where you are looking.  Also, if you want to continue the dialogue via email, contact me as follows:

Best Regards,  

US Military Academy at West Point

Bill Taylor

I can answer questions about admissions to West Point; about the history of West Point; about how to travel to West Point, where to eat, where to stay, etc.; and about West Point`s alumni organization, the West Point Association of Graduates.

I am a 1970 Graduate of West Point. I served six years on active duty and another 8 years in the active reserve. I have been actively involved as a Field Admissions Representative for over 20 years and have participated on my Congressman's Academy Selection Panel for over 25 years. I am actively involved in West Point Alumni affairs, serving in roles both with the West Point Association of Graduates and the local alumni chapter in Annapolis, MD. I also have two sons who graduated from West Point in 1995 and 2001. Both are veterans of the Iraq War and Afghanistan War. The 1995 Grad continues to serve on Active Duty in the Army.

Bachelor of Science, US Military Academy, 1970 Master of Science (Computer Science), The Johns Hopkins University, 1980