Military History/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
My Friends Father3/23/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Sir, By way of introduction my name is LTC Mark Richards USA (Ret). I' m doing some research to ...
  A: Good Day, Thank you for your question. In it you typed "I need his service exit date." ...
German offensive in Caucasus 1942-19433/17/2017Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.
  Q: During this offensive the German and Romanian armies appear to have spent a great deal of time and ...
  A: The probable reason was that the Germans had practically no naval resources in the Black Sea, the ...
German WW2-part3/17/2017Michael O'Reagan
  Q: Can you tell me what this is? I was told it was stolen from the Germans in Narvik (Norway) during ...
  A: I'll give you me best educated guess as I've seen many apertures like this in the past, its a ranger ...
75 DEC shell3/7/2017Keith H. Patton
  Q: Patton, can you tell me what the others stamps on the ground means? PD.Ps. 360 L 17 R
  A: DEC 75 means de Campagne 75 or Field Gun 75 which it was made for 17 stands for 1917 the year the ...
Exercise Fox March 19443/7/2017Paul Edward Zukowski
  Q: Some details are available but the 'friendly fire' casualties is not clear. For example GIs ...
  A: I think referring to when German E-boats picked up on radio traffic and torpedoed ships during the ...
trying for a WW 2 photograph3/4/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: My uncle had an important photo damaged by termites. I'm trying to find a copy of it there is ...
  A: Good Day, Thank you for your question. In it you typed "battery C Regt FARC Ft Bragg". The ...
Pacific war - ww23/4/2017Keith H. Patton
  Q: Putting aside the subjects that are similar for just a moment because 1: time had passed since ww1 ...
  A: Simon: In the 1960's I live on Okinawa less than a mile from the actual battlefield depicted in ...
106th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion number of men3/3/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Im researching my Grandfather in WWII He was in the 106th AAA. Im confused about the number of men ...
  A: , Thank you for your question. In it you typed "Im [sic] confused about the number of men ...
69th Armor/ 69th Armored Field Artillery3/1/2017Paul Sutton
  Q: I'm doing a news-letter and received a newspaper article about a WWll vet who served who served with ...
  A: Greeting Glad to help. The 69th Armor Battalion was part of the 1st and then 6th Armored Division ...
Muster list for 153rd Aleutian Islands2/24/2017Paul Edward Zukowski
  Q: I am a Transition Assistance Advisor for the Arkansas Army National Guard. I have an SF-180 request ...
  A: I can't the only place that might be able to is The Center for Military History. Its a far from a ...
bronze star uncle received2/21/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: My uncle received a bronze star. But he would never talk about the war. He has been dead since the ...
  A: Good Day, Thank you for your question. On it you typed "My uncle received a bronze star." ...
Enquiry2/16/2017Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.
  Q: I attach a picture of my great great grandfather I would like to know what you can tell me about his ...
  A: I used to help with these questions when I could rely on the help of my good friend lt. col. S. ...
Interview2/15/2017LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: on my topic which is World War 2 and I was Hoping that you could answer My following questions 1. ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I just returned from ...
History of the 128th AAA Gun Bn Mobile2/8/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: I have had great difficulty in reaching surviving members of the 128th AAA Gun Bn mobile....I did ...
  A: I acknowledge your follow-up. In it you typed "Can you tell me how long is the book and what it ...
Uncle's Service Record2/4/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: I am researching my Uncle's military service record. I am attaching 2 photos to accompany my ...
  A: In it you typed "Looking at his discharge, he served in Troop D 23rd Calvary [sic] Reconnaissance ...
Lt. General Johann Paul Sibilsky 1677-17632/4/2017LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: I am seeking any info re: colonel, captain, major general, lt. general Johann Paul Sibilsky - ...
  A: I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been out of the country. In response to your ...
Unit History, 128th AAA Gun Battalion2/2/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: I saw a post where you said you have the 128th's unit history...Is there anywhere you know I can ...
  A: In it you typed "I saw a post where you said you have the 128th's unit history". That is correct. ...
959th Artillery in WWII?1/30/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Mr. Horrell: My dad, Albert E. McBride, MSgt LANG (Ret.), served in WWII in 959th Artillery, 2nd ...
  A: Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell". Good manners NEVER go out-of-style. ...
WW 2 Troop Ship1/23/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Horrell, I'm researching my later father's WWII history. His name is Lawrence I. DeWitt serial #: ...
  A: , Thank you for your question. Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell". Good ...
Finding Military information about my Father....1/21/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: My father joined the Army/Air Force on 27 Nov 42, he was with the 1126th MP Co, Avn. On 4 Oct 45 he ...
  A: In it you typed "1126th MP Co, Avn." The 1126th MP Company, Aviation, participated in the following ...
Vietnam war query1/17/2017Marc Leepson
  Q: I hope this finds you well. I wanted to see if you could help me with an query I have regarding ...
  A: Mark, Happy to shed some light on this. Yes, the U.S. sent the Army Special Forces (the Green ...
WW 2 Train Accident, May 6-7, 1945, in Austria1/13/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: my father Donald Kaiser co E 318th inf 80th division.evacuated by 305th medical clearing station. ...
  A: In it you typed "evacuated by 305th medical clearing station." Are you referring to the 305th ...
WW 1 uniform question1/13/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Iíve noticed that some ww1 soldiers have a chain hanging from the right shoulder ending in the right ...
  A: If I understand your question correctly, the chain is attached to a whistle. Even as late as the ...
Bronze cannon ball1/12/2017Keith H. Patton
  Q: Have a small cannon ball. Bronze, 3 inch diameter and weighs 2.1 pounds. Would you have any idea ...
  A: A couple of things. First, there were few if any Bronze cannon balls. Bronze was expensive. It was ...
WWII Armored Infantry Patrols1/11/2017LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: I recently listened to an audio interview with an Armored Infantry Rifleman who described an ...
  A: The TO and E of an armored infantry squad was eleven (11) men which included a squad leader and ...
Operation Valkyrie- World War II1/11/2017Marc Leepson
  Q: Leepson, I am a high school student in my junior year at Bedford High School in Massachusetts. I am ...
  A: While I don't consider myself an expert on World War II history, I have written about the war and ...
SS NYU Victory1/9/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Are you still interested in the NYU Victory, I have copies of her deck logs and some photos. My ...
  A: In it you typed "Are you still interested in the NYU Victory"? Yes, I certainly am. Please feel ...
Great Grandfather Russian Army1/9/2017Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.
  Q: I see that you were able to assist someone in getting some insight in an old Russian army picture. ...
  A: I could answer that question with the help of my good friend lt.colonel S. Bojerud whose hobby was ...
1812 uniform question1/8/2017LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: Hoping to know a bit more about this uniform. We haven't been able to locate photos of similar ...
  A: He commanded the 52nd New York State Militia Regiment and that is the uniform that was worn by that ...
128th AAA Gun Battalion1/6/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: Mr Horrell, I am conducting some research for a friends family. A relative served in Battery C, ...
  A: In it you typed "Would you be willing to share that unit history with the family?" No sir, I would ...
WW 2 information on 413th AAA Gun Battalion1/3/2017Richard V. Horrell
  Q: My father, Francis Abadie Escudier, enlisted on 9/14/42 as a private. He was a college graduate and ...
  A: , Thank you for your question. In it you typed "Do you know anything about.......in those ...
British West Indies Regiment - WW112/31/2016LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: Season's greetings to you. Before I begin, I'd like to thank you for being a volunteer on this site ...
  A: There is always the possibility that he worked with members of the British West Indies Regiment in ...
Queries re WW112/30/2016LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: I am interested as to why Russia was so easily defeated by Germany in WW1? After all, both Napoleon ...
  A: The Russians weren't defeated in World War I. The Bolsheviks sued for peace. Both the Germans and ...
Queries re WW112/30/2016Keith H. Patton
  Q: I am curious as to why Russia was so easily defeated by Germany in WW1? After all, both Napoleon and ...
  A: Germany has always been in modern time a net importer of food and raw materials. In WWII the main ...
SS Mariposa12/27/2016Richard V. Horrell
  Q: I am trying to find information on my uncle Ernest L Wood RM3c USN that served aboard the SS ...
  A: In it you typed "I am trying to find information on my uncle Ernest L Wood RM3c USN". I suggest ...
WW2 Honorable Discharge and Campaigns12/22/2016Keith H. Patton
  Q: My Dad's honorable discharge form list in Box 31, titled "Military Qualifications and Dates" as ...
  A: You probably know this but the AAA battalions had a number of different designations. You father was ...
Colonial History/W. Virginia12/21/2016LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard
  Q: Greetings from one Expert to another. I am a writer and of course, researching. I need to know the ...
  A: Morris, The Ohio Country covered four (4) states at that time: Indiana, Ohio, ...
Bullet or projectile??12/21/2016Paul Sutton
  Q: I am not sure which person to ask so here goes. I found this in a box left by my late uncle. It is ...
  A: Greetings Your shell is very old but is similar to a 37mm round used in the Bofors 37mm anti tank ...
DEFECTIVE WW II MORTER SHELLS12/18/2016Marc Leepson
  Q: My father was killed in Dec. 1944 in WW II in Italy allegedly due to a defective morter shell that ...
  A: You would need to look at your father's unit's records, which should be in the National Archives in ...
Abkomm-Kammer Film12/16/2016Paul Sutton
  Q: I have just come across your post about the abkomm-kammer film and was wondering if you still have ...
  A: Greetings I am sorry to say I never had the film. Jason and Crissy owned the film. I did suggest ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Top Expert on this page