Military History/Who Invented The "Blitzkrieg"?

Geoff wrote at 2010-01-28 06:14:00
Hi Trevor, must take issue with your choice of reference. "The Blitzkrieg myth" is quite simply the worst book I have ever read. It is written by an English professor with little knowledge of his chosen topic. This becomes quite apparent after the first few chapters. He chooses some quite obscure references to prove his "myths" while arrogantly stating that anyone who disagrees with him is either a fool or has been sucked in by the mainstream propaganda that poses as history - which according to him includes Erikson, Glantz, Clarke and every other notable historian of the last fifty years. For instance his entire chapter on fortifications, which apparently proves that the Germans were on the whole defensively minded and never believed in Blitzkrieg is referenced by 3 books, none of them mainstream (or even ones I have heard of, and I am quite well-read). Even his "myths" aren't new - Douhet was wrong, strategic bombing wasn't as effective as we first thought, breakthrough battles aren't always effective, France had more tanks than Germany in 1940, British, American and German generals weren't as effective as their memoirs would seem to suggest, Patton wasn't a genius, Montgomery is under-rated by historians (though not to the point of hero worship that Mosier delivers), in the early war Allied equipment was often technologically superior to German equipment etc - all of these points have been covered quite conclusively by the very historians he so despises. In the introduction to the book Mosier states that he is not a professional historian. At least on that we agree.

Chris wrote at 2011-05-03 07:45:05
I understand Trevor to be correct in so far as it was not Heinz Guderian who invented Blitzkrieg.  But I need to add an often overlooked point ; that being the role played by General John Monash.

There was certainly a new school of thought developing around the use of surprise and of coordinated attack.  But not only was John Monash one of the earliest proponents of this thinking, but he was also the first to put it into action at the battle of Hamel (much to the horror of the orthodox European high command at the time).

See here for further references :

http://www.convictcreations.com/history/monash.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Monash

Cheers,

Chris

Pompey wrote at 2012-11-11 03:06:04
Blitzkrieg goes back to The First World War.  It was first used successfully at the Battle of Hamel by Sir John Monash, and then again a month later at the Battle of Amiens and there on many times till the end of the war.  It proved decisive in the allies winning the war.  Guderian was on the receiving end of it, but did not know the creator of it.  Ironically, with Germany having smashed it's way across Europe in The Second World War, it was the Australians at Tobruk who were the first to defeat Germany in a battle- and thus the first to defeat the blitzkrieg they had been the first to successfully put in place over 20 years earlier

Military History

Trevor Collette