Military History/Balloonatics

Question
John, we just had boxes of memorabilia from Howard K.
Smith's personal effects donated to our museum.  He was a balloonatic in WWI and trained in Omaha.  Can you please tell me anything about him.  I'm told he flew over Paris.

Answer
Hello Debbie,

I looked in “Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919”, and "Who's Who of Ballooning".  I could not find a Howard K. Smith, listed in either of them.

Here is the link to the "Who's Who of Ballooning".  

http://www.ballooninghistory.com/whoswho/

This reference catalogues all those who had anything to do with ballooning prior to 1918, or as the website states “Basically, one has to be dead first, born before 1918, or have participated in some epic event.”  It catalogues almost all the US Army Rated Balloon Pilots of WWI.  This doesn’t mean that he was not a Balloon Pilot; it just means that either he never went for a civilian license, or he has not been added to the list yet.  

Here is the “S” Section, as you can see there is no Howard K. Smith.

http://www.ballooninghistory.com/whoswho/who'swho-s1.html

I looked in “Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919”, and it too does not have a Howard K. Smith, listed.

I did find a 2nd LT. Howard Smith A.S. (Air Service), listed in “Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919”.

The 2nd LT Howard Smith that is listed was the Commanding Officer of the 12th Photo Section, 1st Army Day Bombing Group.  This Howard Smith did work with Balloon Companies.

http://www.footnote.com/image/19659604/Howard%20Smith/

In “Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919”, there are 27 pages of documentation with 2nd LT Howard Smith’s name mentioned.

I am more than happy to assist you, in tracking down all the correct information.

If you can you can, please email me with your contact phone number (since you are a museum), and I would be more than happy to talk to you on the phone, as it is much easier, as I  need to find out more information on Howard Smith, to correctly identify him.

I look forward to talking to you, and helping you finding out all the information on Howard Smith, so you can properly display his personal effects.

John

Military History

John Vargas