Military History/WWII Shell/casing

me wrote at 2009-12-26 19:19:14
they are primers for a large shell, i remember seeing one as a child.  it looks like a giant 308 shell, i put my arm down the empty case and felt something, i unscrewed it and out came the part that you have a picture of.

Jim wrote at 2013-12-27 02:30:17
What you have there appears to be a primer for a 4 inch British cannon.  I have one that is similar.  If it has a primer than it is a land based cannon if it has the electric ignition system than sea based cannon.  This primer screws into the bottom of the shell casing.  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.