Military History/mississippi squadron cival war

"SALTY" wrote at 2013-08-26 00:14:29
The Mississippi Squadron was a hastily prepared fleet made from commercial vessels designed to navigate in the shallow inland waters. The backbone of the fleet were the Ironclads known as "POOK'S TURTLES." The US navy could not operate their ocean going ships in rivers and back waters. These boats could float in 6 feet of water. Without the U.S. Navy, Vicksburg would not have been taken as soon as it was, maybe never!

Military History

Herb Swingle

Civil War+Lincoln Assassination-Co-Author-"Authentic Civil War Stories"I researched both of my great grand fathers in the Civil War.I am not a student of ancient history.

35yrs-Teaching High School History of the United States-10 years of teaching "Rochester and the Civil War"for communitie ED and at a local College at night.

Son's of the Union War Veterans---The Surratt Society.

Authentic Civil War Stories--New York State Military Museum-160th NY.

BS+MS from Western Michigan University--Albert Castel was my Mentor.Studied at-Oxford University in England-Cornell Unversity-University of Rochester'

Who's Who of American Teachers