Military History/British Uniforms

peter winn wrote at 2011-09-20 07:21:00
Could he be sapper of the Corps of Royal Engineers?

Frogsmile wrote at 2012-03-11 20:38:14
Gillian, he is nothing whatsoever to do with the infantry and London Regiment, but is a member of the Royal Regiment of Artillery and wearing the dark blue 9-button tunic of that regiment with red collar bearing a plain grenade collar badge and yellow braid trim to the cuff in the form of an Austrian knot and around the edge of the collar.  He is wearing the fur cap adopted by the RA between 1856 and 1878. His dark blue trousers had a one and a half inch red stripe down the outer seam.  He is most likely to have been from the large RA garrison at Woolwich, which is not far from Southwark.  I would date the photo to between 1875 and 1878.

gyantse wrote at 2014-03-04 10:24:52
The uniform worn here is that of an Artillery Volunteer and not a Fusilier. Going by the location of the photographer could possibly be 3rd Middx Volunteer Artillery

Military History

william oneill

I can answer questions on uniforms and insignia. General military subjects, British military history & uniforms European armies and histories american militia/national guard all wars weapons, equipment

I currently work for the National Museum of the Marine Corps as a Collections Management Specialist 2006-Present My previous position was the Registrar of the Virginia War Museum. The primary duties at both places was the identification and research of uniforms, insignia, flags, weapons, equipment,and preservation techniques in consultation with conservators. I wrote didactic panels and labels describing the period particular uniforms and equipment were in use. I served as the expert resource for questions on general military subjects for both U.S. and international military operations for local news media. Consulted with History Channel on camouflage uniforms, assisted other museums in identifying military artifacts in their collections, and have written extensive articles in the Virginia War Museum's newsletter, the Correspondent and given lectures on a vary of military topics relating to the operations of United States forces from 1775-Present.

Life Member- Disabled American Veterans Life Member- Vietnam Veterans of America

Publications Virgina War Museum Newsletter Correspondent

BA History-Christopher Newport College-1988 MA History Canadidate- Old Dominion University-1990 Certificate- Military Policy and Strategy- Old Dominion University-1991

Virginia War Museum Virginia War Memorial Museum U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum U.S. Army Transportation Museum Infantry Museum Ft. Riley Museum Finance Corps Museum 82nd Airborne Museum Ft. Wadsworth Harbor Defense Museum History Channel Museum of American Heroes (private museum) Mr. Don Tharpe Mr. Phil Morton