Military History/Military Uniform _question 1

mcassidy wrote at 2011-08-30 01:59:57
This is a U.S. Maritime Service (USMS) uniform, probably from the WW II period.  Note the wreath around the sleeve insignia.  He is probably a captain (master, if the wreath surrounds an anchor), possibly a chief engineer (if there is a propeller inside the wreath).  It is difficult to tell from this photo, but is seems that the sleeve insignia may be an anchor.  

Also, it is just barely possible to tell that his buttons are USMS (2nd design), and not USN; and the cap device is USMS

Will wrote at 2013-02-04 22:40:07
That is wrong,  this is a merchant marine Captain "Master" uniform.  you can tell by the gold wreath around the fowled anchor on his sleeve above the four gold lines.  The bottom left ribbon is the combat actino ribbon with star that means he was attacked and forced to abandon ship is his USMM career.  

liam wrote at 2014-04-10 03:37:56
Most likely USMM.  Cap device is definitely merchant marine circa 1940's.  If you can see an emblem on the sleeves within the crescents of the leaves an anchor means command or deck officer in this case a master (captain), a propeller means chief engineer.  Go to USMM.org it has other devices and ranks.

Fr B E DORSEY DD Old catholic Church- wrote at 2014-09-28 00:33:07
Cap Badge=US Maritime Service

Four Rings=Captain (also Chief Engineer wore 4x1/2" rings)

Cap Peak=1 row of oak leaves + acorns (Captain-C/Eng no leaves)

Corps Insignia above Rings(Anchor in wreath)-definitely Captain as Engineers had 3 bladed ship's prop in wreath)

Ribbons=Odd mix.  Middle row definitely US Military-the three theaters of war-Asian-Pacific/European-North African-Middle east.

Top & Bottom row ??? tho one top almost seems Spanish War Service 1898/1899 for that war, but????

Fr BED+ OCCh...NJ Ex-pat Garden Stater Downunder

Military History

william oneill