Military History/WWII 207th AAA Group

BMC Retired wrote at 2013-08-15 19:15:39
Your father should also rate the Europe/Africa/Middle East Campaign Medal with silver star attachment to signify the (5) campaigns in which he participated. He should also rate the WW2 victory medal and possibly the Army of Occupation medal with Germany clasp if his time in the ETO after the surrender was sufficient to qualify. You might also check on how much time he spent in the US Army between 12/7/41 and his departure to the ETO. He may also qualify for the American Campaign Medal.

The 207th AAA group was one of four groups assigned to the 49th AAA brigade under Brig.GEN E.W. Timberlake. The other three groups were the 11th, 16th and 18th AAA groups. The 49th Brigade was part of the 1st U.S. Army under Gen. Courtney Hodges which was a component of the 12th Army group under Gen. Omar Bradley.

Gen. Bradley reported to SHAEF, Gen. D.D. Eisenhower.

There is much information on hard-to-find units at the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, KS. I was just there in June of this year researching my own father's unit history.

He was with the 61st Coast Artillery Regiment. His battalion became the 634th AAA (AW) Battalion in 1943. He was assigned to the 207th AAA group during operation Neptune and came ashore at Utah beach on D+3.

I hope this helps a little with your research.  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.