Military History/SS Mariposa

Russ Cherry wrote at 2011-06-04 12:13:43
I just came across this blog so I thought I'd jump in and respond too. My mother, Lillie (Mylchreest) Cherry was on the Mariposa for that trip and upon arriving in San Francisco took a train via Chicago to arrive in Hazlet, NJ which was my Dad's home. My Mother grew up in Brisbane where she met and married my father in 1945. He was serving in the Army on General MacArthur's staff. My Mom still lives in NJ in an assisted living center. She is now 92.  

Arlene wrote at 2011-07-31 23:52:19
My husband (an 8-month old at the time) and his mom (from Brisbane) came on a sailing of the Mariposa from Queensland to San Francisco; I have been told they arrived in the US on 4/30/46.  I am currently doing some research into the Mariposa and if I can find anything, I'll post again!

Raul Sprovieri wrote at 2012-03-17 04:29:02
I travelled with my mum on the Mariposa around the end of 1945 or early 1946. I cannot find a record of us as passengers in the (Australian) National Archives. We met Dad in Chicago and the three of us travelled around america in a Studibaker and silver Caravan (Trailer). When I was 3 we emigrated to Australia and returned on the US Ship the Marine Phoenix which arrived in Sydney in 1948. Has anyone got a list of passengers for either Ship with the name 'Sprovieri' mentioned on it. I'd be grateful.

Bob Gilbert wrote at 2012-06-17 17:51:42
My mother and I (2 yrs old) travelled from Brisbane to San Francisco on the Mariposa about the same time frame - 4/46.  We then travelled by train across the US to a small town near Pottsville, Penna where we lived with my father's parents for about 2 years.  As I understand the trip we stopped in Fiji and Hawaii before getting to San Francisco.  It would be great to see a passenger list.   By the way, an  Australian born child, living in the U.S. can now get their Aussie citizenship back.

Randale wrote at 2013-06-30 11:37:54
My late mother a war bride  Rita Armytage and child Maurita sailed to America on the Mariposa in 1946.I have a photo of the ship's departure from Brisbane.My late father a Merchant Marine  sailed back to Australia on the Marine Phoenix in 1948.His name was Maureice Charles Joseph Armytage.

Russ Cherry wrote at 2013-12-26 16:32:56
To Bob Gilbert> I think our mothers were friends and that we once visited when we were kids. There was also another Aussie lady in the area too whose name I believe was Yeskavitch or something similar. I'll check with my sister to see if she has details on this or for the other questions in the blog.  

Bob Gilbert wrote at 2015-06-02 13:27:29
Russ Cherry

I just found my mother's passport and shows a date stamp of March 6, 1946 on the SS Mariposa arriving in San Francisco.  Also go to WWII War Brides and families on FACEBOOK.  I've posted a picture of a group of war brides at Camp Victoria( I believe) in Brisbane.

Military History

Richard V. Horrell