You are here:

Military History/father's service in the 44th Infantry Division


David DeSau wrote at 2013-12-26 06:09:27
You must be able to obtain a copy of his discharge - as the military records for WWII Personnel were destroyed in the early 70's during a fire at the National records Center. Once you obtain a copy of his discharge papers you can obtain a reissue of all his medals.

My Dad was a Medic in the 44th Infantry Division so i was able to obtain all his medals. It is something you can do online and print out to mail- but you must have a copy of his discharge papers to obtain them.  

Military History

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard V. Horrell


Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.


A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Awards and Honors
Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Past/Present Clients
Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.

©2017 All rights reserved.