Military History/WW1 Pioneer Infantry

COL Stenzel, 210th Armor Assoc wrote at 2011-09-02 20:26:46
If your gr granduncle belonging to Co. E Pioneer Infantry and Trained at Camp Wadsworth is from New York State I may have more information.  Although I do not have a roster that shows names, the former 10th Infantry Regiment of Albany, NY and 1st Infantry Regiment were redesignated the 51st Pioneer and 1st Pioneer Infantry.

These two Pioneer Infantry Regiments served as Corps Engineer support with the 4th Corps.  His death in the 4th Corps Artillery Park may tie him to one of these two New York national Gaurd Pioneer Infantry Regiments.

1917 OCT 29  Camp Wadsworth  Personnel assigned to other Regiments

1918 JAN 4 10th redesignated 51st Pioneer Regiment 1st re-designated 1st Pioneer Regiment (later companies of the 1st became part of 10th regiment prior to WWII)

1918 JUL 29 Left Camp Wadsworth for Port of New Jersey Steamer “KROONLAND” to France

Assigned to Corps Engineers, 4th Army Corps, US AEF

1918 AUG 8  arrive Brest, France

I do have most of the 51st Pioneer actions and movements in WWI.  It's most notible action was the 1918 SEP 12 St Mihiel campaign

Field Order #14 for Engineer Support indicated the 51st would provide 2 companies per division, 4 companies to Corps Engineers and one company each to the 3 main routes of advance.  Three companies of Engineers and 1 Pioneer in rear of advance.  

Bill Kober wrote at 2013-02-12 23:45:25
My Uncle Frank P. Kober from Newburg NY, and was member of the 51St Pioneer Inf Div. He apparently saw action in France and died from the effects off poison gas in 1928. My Dad who was much younger met him at the train upon his return and wanted to hear all about the war. Uncle Frank refused to discuss it and told him that he would rather see him dead then go to war!

Daniel A. Nelson wrote at 2015-04-23 13:04:30
Sgt. Erwin J. Hanna of Blue Mountain Lake, NY was a member of the 10th NYNG and was sent to Camp Wadsworth, SC with the 51st Pioneer Inf. Regiment. Sgt.  Hanna fought at St. Mihiel in France and was assigned to the AEF until returning home in 1919. Erwin resided in Blue Mt. Lake as a steamboat pilot on the "Tuscarora" and as caretaker at Eagle Nest until his retirement. Erwin was involved in the preparations for the Adirondack Museum. I had many conversations with Mr. Hanna  (my wife's grandfather)relating to his war experiences with the 51st Pioneer Regiment in France and Germany. Sgt. Hanna died in 1985 and is buried in the Blue Mountain Lake Cemetery.

MMM wrote at 2015-08-07 00:06:00
I am interested in finding out what sources there are about the movements of the 51st Pioneer Infantry. My Grandfather served in Company B. I have read that they were not attached to any division, but attached when needed.

Thank you.

Dan Cassidy wrote at 2015-08-28 02:04:49
My grandfather, Captain Daniel J Cassidy, served in Company E, 51st Pioneers, and was at Camp Wadsworth as well. I'm in possession of quite a bit of information (copies of general orders, etc) from that time at Camp Wadsworth as well as group pictures of Co E at Wadsworth as well as before their departure from France. I also have a number of photos of several New York National Guard encampments (circa 1911...) when the 10thNYNG was formed. As the 100th anniversary of US involvement in WW1 approaches I wish to put this material to some good use to commemorate their service. Perhaps this communication can help me get started.

MMM wrote at 2016-03-17 03:12:01
Hello Dan, You definitely should! I have made several blog posts about the 51st Pioneer Infantry and looking for resources. I have set up a Facebook page for the 51st Pioneer if you would like to contribute to them, or connect with me. https://www.facebook.com/51stPioneerInfantry/

Military History

Paul Edward Zukowski