Military History/ww2 Japanese imperial flag

Michael wrote at 2012-01-22 09:30:52
Hi, I was looking through google images for the derogatory term "Jap" and found this post.  The answer lies in the text on the bottom.  I believe it says, Motoyama Ryudo Seinen-tai Nakasato-machi Buntai.  Motoyama Ryudo may be a person's name, seinen-tai roughly translates as "youth corps," Nakasato is a town in Aomori, Japan, and buntai means "squad." Hope this helps.

Michael wrote at 2012-01-22 09:58:33
Just an update, the first four characters of the flag (from right to left of the picture), can be read as Wonsan Yongdong in Korean, and Genzan Ryudo in Japanese.  Wonsan Yongdong seems to have been a school in colonial Korea. Wonsan is a city in North Korea, Yongdong may have been a district, and Nakasato seems to have been a village. So the flag can be translated as "Wonsan Yongdong Youth Squad Nakasato Village Squad."  This is an interesting flag, was it picked up in Korea?  

Aruhito wrote at 2016-05-25 23:38:21
I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that you have the flag reversed. You need to flip it around so it's easier to read. (I have a friend in Japan who is interested in this sort of thing. I can contact him if you still have questions about this flag.)

Military History

Alan F. Cagle