Military History/WW 2 Veteran information please

My father-in-law recently passed away and we were able to get only a few things about his involvement in WWII in the 2 years before he passed.  On his Honorable Discharge paper it says that he was in Normandy GO 33 WD 45  Rhineland GO 40 WD 45  Northern France   Central Europe Ground Combat GO 46 WD 45.  It also says his organization was Btry B 204th AAA Auto Weapon Br - what was that unit?  Also it says that his military occupation was Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weeapons Crewman DP 3601.  We never knew what he did while he was overseas.  He never talked about it until a couple of years before he died.  He also told us he was wounded in a strafing raid but we cannot find a record of that.  Where could we go for help?

Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In your question you indicate that you have access to your father-in-law's "Honorable Discharge" which is an EXCELLENT source for FACTS about your father-on-law's role in WW 2.  The unit listed in Box #6 was the unit your father-in-law was assigned to at the time he was discharged, not necessarily the unit he was assigned to prior to May 8, 1945.  However, based upon what you have typed, I do believe your father-in-law was assigned to the 204th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion prior to May 8, 1945.  But, without a photocopy of the Discharge Documents for me to research from, I can provide you no FACTS about your father-in-law's role in WW 2.  But, I can provide you with FACTS about the 204th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion.

activated at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts, January 20, 1943

departed Boston Port of Embarkation February 27, 1944

arrived in England March 8, 1944

assigned to First Army

attached to 207th AAA Group

located at Weymouth, England, May 31, 1944

D-Day, Tuesday, June 6, 1944

arrived in France, June 25, 1944

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France    July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 14, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945
Ground Combat, E.A.M.E. Theater        May 11, 1942-May 8, 1945

assigned to First Army, attached to the 16th AAA Group, July 24, 1944

assigned to First Army, attached to the 52nd AAA Brigade, December 21, 1944-February 23, 1945

V-E Day, May 8, 1945

served with the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 20-October 31, 1945

arrived at the New York Port of Embarkation November 27, 1945

de-activated at Camp Shanks, NY, November 28, 1945

I believe the 204th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion returned to the USA onboard either the RMS Queen Mary or the USS Monticello  AP-61, but without a photocopy of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents in my hands, I cannot confirm that as a FACT.
  In your question you typed that your father-in-law "was wounded in a strafing raid".  Check Box #34 for additional FACTS about your father-in-law being a casualty.
  In your question you typed "Where could we go for help?"  Me!  It would be my pleasure to provide you with FACTS about your father-in-law's role in WW 2.  However, for me to do so, I will need in hand a photocopy of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents.  You are welcome to send me via First Class USPS a photocopy of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.