Military History/1950s container

while demolishing and old ww1 warehouse/bombshelter i came across a 1950's sealed container with a m9 gas mask and other accessories says "mask,gas,m9" and on the bottom of front says "face piece size and position of canister stem" back of container says " to open container remove key from container attach key to tab and turn"  has key attached on the top has a few dents but no openings just your usual wear created over the years im curious to know what the value of this item is and any other information you can give me on this inf

Sorry, but this isn't in my area of expertise. All I can tell you is that this looks very much like the gas masks that we trained with when I had Army Basic Training in July and August of 1967. That's the only time I ever put one on--when we had this drill showing us how to use them.

There's an official Army history of the gas mask with info on the M9 at this URL:

As for its value, I have no idea. You might want to contact an antique dealer who specializes in military equipment about that.

(Did a little more checking. This was NOT the kind of gas mask we used in 1967. Ours didn't wrap around your entire head from top to bottom. Found another site with good info:

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America