Military History/736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company

Question
QUESTION: Hello sir,
    My name is Jared Mann, I am currently active duty navy. My wives grandfather was in the 736th engr heavy shop company from 1946-1948. His name was Edward manely, he was a welder combination 256. I would like to put a history thing together for him and his service, but I am having a thought time finding any info on his company. I  hope you could help shed some light.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  It would be my pleasure to provide you with FACTS as per the 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company.  However, I wish to be sure that you understand the context of my reply.  Since I have no idea as to your source that your "wives [sic] grandfather was in the 736th engr heavy shop company" my reply is about the 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company and ONLY about the 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company.
  The 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company participated in two Campaigns while serving in the PTO (Pacific Theater of Operation) during WW 2:

New Guinea      January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944
Luzon          December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945

Are those two Campaigns typed in Box #32 on page two of your wife's grandfather's Discharge Documents?  If not, what Campaigns are listed in Box #32?
  The 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company was awarded a Philippine Presidential Unit Citation for the unit's role in the Liberation of the Philippine Islands.
  The following is the US Army's OFFICIAL definition of an Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company during WW 2:

"6 officers, 165 enlisted men.  A semi-mobile unit, the heavy shop company performed fourth echelon maintenance on all equipment for which the Corps of Engineers had maintenance responsibility.  Fourth echelon maintenance included rebuilding a unit's equipment, overhauling the attachments and accessories, doing emergency overhauls of major units, and recovering equipment from the battlefield, reclaiming, and salvaging it."

You are welcome to photocopy page two, page three & page four of your wife's grandfather's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS about your wife's grandfather that I glean from his Discharge Documents.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Richard,
     I appreciate the quick response! The two awards found on his DD214 are WWII victory medal and the army of occupation Japan. If I were to send you his discharge paper, what would you be able to do with it? Also do you know of any photographs of the 736th floating around? I have a picture of his DD214.
Very Respectfully,
Jared Mann, USN

ANSWER: Dear Mr. Mann,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "If I were to send you his discharge papers, what would you be able to do with it?"  First of all, please do not send your wife's grandfather's Discharge Documents to me via First Class USPS.  My request was for photocopies of your wife's grandfather's Discharge Documents be sent to me via First Class USPS.  As to what I would "be able to do with it?"  Possibly determine the troop ship that took your wife's grandfather overseas, as well as the troop ship that returned him to the USA.  That would be from page two.  I offer this to you as a courtesy, you need not accept my generosity.
  In your follow-up you typed "do you know of any photographs of the 736th floating around?"  Yes, I do.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Richard,
    Thank you again for the response. Where would I be able to find pictures of 736th? Or do you have a bunch in your possession?
V/R
Jared

Answer
Dear Mr. Mann,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  You would be able to find photographs of the 736th Engineer (Heavy) Shop Company at the National Archives & Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania.  No, I do not "have a bunch" in my collection.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell