Military History/753rd Ordnance Ammunition Co. 1944-45

Question
DOD Separation Record
DOD Separation Record  
DOD Cert of Svc
DOD Cert of Svc  
QUESTION: My father served with the 753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company from early 1944 until coming home on the U.S.S. Enterprise in late 1945. I was told he participated in aerial bombing attacks on D-Day, and, according to brief notes he left me, their unit was transferred from England to France after the invasion and then went up through France and Belgium to the German border. By that time, the war was winding down and by the end of 1945 he was sent home. I have no details at all on what the 753rd did, the route they took, missions they were engaged in, or anything else during that year and a half. Any information at all that you could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.
(P.S. I apologize if you got this message twice. It looked like it didn't get sent, after I submitted it the first time a couple of days ago.)

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father served with the 753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company".  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the source for that statement?  The reason for my request, I can find no documentation of a "753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company" being activated by the US Military during WW 2.
  In Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, "653rd Ordnance Ammunition Company" is listed.  I can also not find any documentation that a "653rd Ordnance Ammunition Company" was activated by the US Military during WW 2.  
  Since the issue is in doubt as to the unit your father was assigned to prior to V-E Day, the following are the only FACTS I can provide you at this time:

Departure Date:   December 3, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   December 9, 1943
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    11,900 Troops onboard

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   December 13, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Ship:   USS Enterprise  CV-6
Arrival Date:   December 24, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

I eagerly look forward to a follow-up from you.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell--

Thank you very much. I appreciate your looking into this--and so quickly! As for my sources, prior to his death Dad had recorded a few notes about his service, and it was in that recording, made some 40 years after WW II, that he referred to having served in the 753rd. I never noticed the discrepancy in his service record. Frankly, I have no idea if either is right or if they are both wrong. Can you find records of any other Ordnance Ammunition Company with a number somewhat similar to either of those, that was originally stationed in England in 1944? Prior to being transferred to that unit, according to Dad's recording, he had served with the 70th ordnance battalion at Fort Huachuca, Arizona, and, after arriving in England, he had attended an ordnance school in Bristol, England. When the 70th was assigned to a new station, Dad said, the lieutenant colonel (no name given) was unhappy because the table's organization was full, so he transferred Dad to the 753rd (or whatever).

When I wrote to the government a few years back for a copy of Dad's military records, I only got a few documents, and was told that the majority of his records--and those of many others--had been destroyed in a fire in St. Louis decades ago. I assume you are quite familiar with that. Could that fire be the reason you can't find documentation of the 753rd or 653rd Company?

I appreciate your help!

Jeff

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  From the context of your follow-up, I understand that your father made an audio recording about his service in WW 2.  In the audio recording, did your father refer "to having served in the 753rd" or refer "to having served in the 753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company"?  I know that this may seem trivial, but I am trying to leave no stone unturned in this quest.
  Yes, I am familiar with the infamous fire at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO in July 1973 that destroyed approximately 85% of all US Army Personnel Files from WW 2.  That is why I conduct my research from the unit records, which are intact & in the Public Domain.  However, to do so I must determine a unit, & in this case we seem to have been unable to do so.  The fire has no bearing on my inability to find FACTS about the 753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company or the 653rd Ordnance Ammunition Company.  I have a list of all US Army Units activated for WW 2 by the US Military.  The 753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company nor the 653rd Ordnance Ammunition Company appear on the list.
  By chance, to you have any of your father's wartime correspondence?  We do not need the letter, but the envelope.  Depending upon who sent the letter, the unit appears in the address or the return address. Also, do you have any wartime photographs of your father?  If so, what shoulder patch does he wear in his left sleeve near the shoulder?  Does your father appear in any photographs with a vehicle?  If so, what appears on the vehicle bumper?  I have a cipher to de-code the Tactical Markings on the bumper.
  Thank you for your patience in this quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: No, I thank YOU for YOUR patience.

Dad specifically said the "753rd Ordnance Ammunition Company" and, prior to being transferred there, spoke about working with ammunitiion for pistols, rifles, pyrotechnics, field pieces, and nitroglycerine in the 70th ordnance battalion. But his involvement in D-Day and beyond didn't come until his transfer. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos or correspondence from him that would shed any more light on this. I'm hoping that you can find record of whatever ordnance company he served in, if both 753rd and 653rd are mistakes. Thank you!

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  First off, the following are the Ordnance Ammunition Companies that served in the ETO, 1942-45:

1st, 50th, 57th, 64th, 66th, 122nd, 123rd, 209th, 315th, 321st, 323rd, 324th, 325th, 569th, 570th, 573rd, 574th, 575th, 576th, 581st, 583rd, 584th, 586th, 587th, 588th, 589th, 592nd, 593rd, 597th, 598th, 599th, 600th, 607th, 608th, 616th, 618th, 619th, 620th, 621st, 624th, 625th, 626th, 633rd, 637th, 639th, 640th, 641st, 646th, 647th, 648th, 654th, 655th, 657th, 658th, 659th, 660th, 661st, 664th, 665th, 666th, 668th, 672nd, 673rd, 674th, 675th, 676th, 679th, 680th, 682nd, 683rd, 685th, 689th, 690th, 691st, 692nd, 696th, 697th, 1907th, 1918th, 1922nd, 1923rd, 1926th & 1927th.
  The 70th Ordnance Battalion was assigned to "Comm Z" the logistical Support Entity for First Army, Third Army & Ninth Army.  You may wish to continue your research with the unit records for the 70th Ordnance Battalion.  May I suggest that you check with:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

to see if the unit records for the 70th Ordnance Battalion are at that location.
  At this point I have no other suggestions for either of us to pursue.  My apology, generally with a unit that the Veteran was assigned to research can begin.  But this time I am at a loss.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell