Military History/Dad's Military History

QUESTION: I just read your reply to Ralph. I have similar interest in my Dad's service with the 1995th QM Co.
He indicated confirmed by his discharge papers that he went to Casablanca via Brooklyn (departure 4/16/43 arrival 4/24/43) he says on the Mariposa with 400 nurses and some of the Tuskeege airmen.
He can't remember the ship he came back on,but it departed 12/10/45 arrival 12/21/45. He indicated in his journal they landed in NY and were shipped by train to Boston. However, his discharge info say he was discharged 12/27/45 from "Separation Center 45 Indiantown Gap Mil Res Pa."   I would like to know what ship as he said it was on the Great Northern route?

He was a truck driver and eventually made sergeant as he moved around Europe. His papers have some codes that look like campaign codes: 00 33 40 WD 45 Naples- Foggia Rome-Arnq. Does this mean anything specific to you?  Dad mentioned in his journal supplying ammo dumps and being in Casablanca, Algiers, Orleanville, Mason Blough, Bomberg, Naples,Caserta, Casino to 800 miles outside Berlin (Vocowall death camp), and finally Marseilles for home with 5000 troops.

As a kid we discounted a lot of Dad's stories of the war, but I would like to confirm and extend as much of his information as possible as he in now 91. Would appreciate any information you can give to help me do this.

ANSWER: Good Day,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you indicate that you are in possession of your father's "discharge papers".  That is great, since a Veteran's Discharge Documents are the best source for FACTS to begin ACCURATE historic research.  
  As to your father's overseas voyage, assigned to the 1995th QM Truck Company (Aviation):

Departure Date:   April 16, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Units Onboard:   95th Evacuation Hospital
         56th Station Hospital
         66th Station Hospital
         54th Medical Battalion
         1995th QM Truck Battalion (Aviation)
Arrival Date:   April 24, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco

So YES, there were "400 nurses" onboard the SS Mariposa with your father.  LUCKY soldier!
  As to your father's voyage home:

Departure Date:   December 10, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   SS Sea Scamp
Units Onboard:   207th AAA Group
         157th Engineer Combat Battalion
         254th Engineer Combat Battalion
         94th Engineer General Service Regiment (African-American)
         953rd Field Artillery Battalion
Arrival Date:   December 21, 1945
Arrival Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

We seem to have a difference as per the Arrival Location, Boston or New York.
  In your question you typed "His papers have some codes that look.......this mean anything specific to you?"  Yes, General Order 33 & 40, from the War Department (Department of Defense did not exist until 1947) in 1945, indicating that your father participated in the following Campaigns:

Naples-Foggia   September 9, 1943-January 21, 1944
Rome-Arno   January 22-September 9, 1944
These are the exact same Campaigns that the 1995th QM Truck Company (Aviation) are credited with.
  In your question you typed that your father was at some specific locations.  Some are rather self-explanatory.  Orleansville, Algeria & Maison Blanche, Algeria were important Allied Supply Bases, was well as the vast French Airbase at Maison Blanche.  Naples, Italy would have been the port the 1995th utilized when they arrived in Italy.  Casserta, Italy was where the Allied Forces in Italy had their HQ.
  In your question you typed that "As a kid we discounted a lot of Dad's stories of the war".  Since I do not know the content of your father's "stories of the war" it is difficult for me to comment.  But the FACTS are clear that the 1995th was transporting all the items required by the Allied Air Forces in the Mediterranean to function against the axis forces.
  In your question you typed that your father is "now 91."  Would you be so kind as to thank your father for going in harm's way so many decades ago to defend our great republic.  I grew up in a nation with so many opportunities because of the sacrifice your father made.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Richard, thanks for the information. As a point of interest Dad mentioned a death camp. He couldn't pronounce it correctly but I think it is
Buchenwald   Germany   Labor camp
Is it possible the 1995 was at this camp? He mentioned supplies for an airport there.

Do you know of any books on the Black soldiers in the 5th, 95th or 1995th?

Happy Thanksgiving,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Dad mentioned a death camp.  He couldn't.......the 1995 was at this camp?"  I do not know.  All FACTS I have about the 1995th QM Truck Company (Aviation) have been shared with you.
  In your follow-up you typed "Do you know of any books on the Black soldiers in the 5th, 95th or 1995th?"  Would you be more specific as to the "5th" ___?___?  I assume (ALWAYS a bad idea when conducting ACCURATE historic research) the "95th" Engineer General Service Regiment (African-American).  No book that I know of, but I have many FACTS in a file.  1995th QM Truck Company (Aviation), no book that I know of.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.