Military History/My Fathers' Service

Question
Enlisted Record and Honorable Discharge
Enlisted Record and Ho  
QUESTION: Hello, I am trying to nail down a few details about my dad's war record. He is gone now, and never talked much about the war, but left me with a few details. I see that these papers indicate some kind of medical detachment, but he was no medic, so I wonder about this, also I know he was with the 68th Coast Artillery Regiment here in Maine at the start of the war and the history of this regiment fits perfectly with what he has told me. I know that during the invasion of southern France he told the story of his landing craft being hit by a German rocket and he had to go over the side, I would love more detail on this event. Also he indicated towrd the end of his life that he was in both the 7th and 5th Army at various times....the 5th for Anzio. How do I found out what infantry division he was in, I have believed it was the 3rd all these years, am I wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated, this is a wonderful thing you do. I have lots' of pictures but nailing down the real details is very difficult. Again, thank you, Jim Junkins

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for attaching page two of your father's Discharge Documents, which is invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.
  Based upon what you provided me, plus page two of your father's Discharge Documents, I feel confident to type that your father was assigned to 1st Battalion, 68th Coast Artillery Regiment (later 68th AAA Gun Battalion) prior to V-E Day.
  Just because one is assigned to a Medical Detachment does not mean one was a medic.  Please refer to Box #30, your father was a truck driver.  There were trucks in Medical Detachments.
  As to the "invasion of southern France" the 68th AAA Gun Battalion is credited with a Bronze Service Arrowhead, as is your father (Box #32).
  The 68th Coast Artillery Regiment was assigned to Seventh Army in Sicily & the Fifth Army in Italy.  The 68th AAA Gun Battalion was assigned to Seventh Army in southern France.
  I read nothing in your father's Discharge Documents that indicates that he was ever assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division.  However, the 68th Coast Artillery Regiment was with the 3rd Infantry Division at Anzio, as was the 68th AAA Gun Battalion with the 3rd Infantry Division with the 3rd Infantry Division at southern France.
  Your father was assigned to the 633rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion after V-E Day, to return home.

Departure Date:   September 27, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   SS Costa Rica Victory
Arrival Date:   October 5, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

The 68th AAA Gun Battalion did not return to the New York P of E until April 4, 1946.  
  I would like to sincerely THANK YOU for providing me with the FACTS I needed to type for you a thorough & timely reply.  It is such a pleasure to deal with someone who understands that with FACTS to research with, additional FACTS come forth quickly AND accurately.

Happily,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

pay document
pay document  
QUESTION: Thanks you so very much, I also found this document that indicates 2nd Battalion? I do have a lot of his old paperwork. I understand that the only vessel hit by a rocket and sunk during the invasion of Southern France was LST 282, being a truck driver I am guessing there's a pretty good chance this is the one? I am very curious as this was a major story from him of our childhood. I have pictures of a loaded LST headed for France, (by his writing but these guys didn't write down numbers.) Again, thank you so much, you have answered in one day what I have been trying to find for YEARS!

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for providing me with another Primary Source (document) to research with.  THIS IS FUN!!!
  Please note APO 758, which was Seventh Army.  On July 7, 1943, your father was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 68th Coast Artillery Regiment.  When the 68th Coast Artillery Regiment was re-designated the 68th AAA Group & the 1st Battalion re-designated the 68th AAA Gun Battalion, 2nd Battalion re-designated the 895th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion (June 4, 1944) your father may have been transferred from the 2nd Battalion to the 1st Battalion.
  Please note Box #33 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  Your father was awarded a "Bronze Service Arrowhead".  The 68th AAA Gun Battalion made an amphibious assault at southern France August 15, 1944.  The 895th AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion landed across the beach of southern France on August 16, 1944.
  I sure am enjoying this research!

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502    

Albert O. Junkins
Albert O. Junkins  

Albert O. Junkins
Albert O. Junkins  
QUESTION: Excellent! Wow....I cannot tell you how much of a difference you have made to me, if it means anything to you, I have called my mom to let her know the mystery has been solved, and my sisters as well, we have a much clearer picture of what he did and where he was. Thanks a MILLION! Jim Junkins
ps...thought I'd put a face with the documents. This is Albert in France, wearing a nazi armband.....and mocking Hitler. On the back of the pic, in his handwriting, it says, "Old Adolf himself in a last ditch fight for a can of spam".

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  I am pleased to read that my research has answered some questions for your family.  May I ask a favor of you?  Would you be so kind as to send me a note via First Class USPS with your e-mail address?  I would like to ask you a few questions as per the 68th Coast Artillery Regiment.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell